What Students Read
Answers to your Any and Every Study Abroad Queries, All in One Space!

Read on to get your latest updates on Universities, Courses Offered, Student Visa Updates, and lots more!
4 minutes reading time (752 words)

General Skilled Migration (GSM): Cracking the PR Code via the Points Test


Have the drive to stay in Australia? Not sure how to upgrade your points to get a PR? The General Skilled Migration or GSM approval, under the ambit of the DHA is the key. General Skilled Migration, heavily relies on your score in the Points Test (except for Subclass 485, 476 and 887 visas) and which in turn counts on your skills and experience. Being a student alone does not make you General Skilled Migration eligible.

Our blog here can help you estimate your eligibility and improve your chances of a General Skilled Migration approval.

Boosting up your approval quotient for the General Skilled Migration program

  • You can get an edge if you stay in Australia after completion of your degree. This way you get a chance a not only to build up your English language skills but also employment experience in Australia after completing your studies by applying for an 18 months Temporary Graduate Visa. This enables you to enhance your score in the Points Test
  • Scale up your qualifications: A diploma can be upgraded to a bachelor’s degree. Diplomas draw 10 points on the Points Test, while bachelor degrees attract 15 and Doctorates invite 20 points. Hence it’s well worth cultivating on your skills and knowledge by moving to a more advanced qualification
  • Work experience from both, overseas and Australian sources attract points. The maximum number of points that can be awarded for a mix of both overseas and Australian work experience is 20 points.
  • Building on your English language skills: Applicants who are fluent with their English language abilities and are deemed as 'Proficient' (PTE 65+ in each component) or 'Superior' (PTE 79+ in each component) are awarded 10 and 20 points respectively.
  • If you have accomplished your Australian Study Requirement of two years in a regional area you are eligible for an additional five points. In a situation where you have lived in a given regional area for two years  and have been involved in a full time employment for at least a year in a specific regional area of Australia you are eligible for a different visa type- The Skilled Regional Visa.
  • The age factor: Here the scores can greatly fluctuate and affect the Points Test- those who are between 25 and 32 get 30 points, while those above 50 are eligible for none.
  • Gain work experience: The more years of relevant work experience in the occupation you have chosen from the SOL, the more the points you could be awarded. Substantial and significant employment apart from your current study options or applying for Temporary Graduate Visa can help spike up your points. A year’s work experience can fetch you five additional points. Employment overseas can also help you grab points.
  • A Professional Year program (PYP): Professional Year Program is structured and designed for students who wish to apply for PR in Australia. A PYP clubs a class room formal teaching with real world workplace experience. Professional Year program draws out for twelve months and is offered in the fields of Engineering, Accounting and Computer Science. A completion of a Professional Year gives the applicant the eligibility to receive five extra points.
  • Credentialed community language/NAATI: If you are qualified at the paraprofessional level or above for translating or interpreting by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) you can gain up to 5 points.
  • Partner skills: If your partner is included in your application and if at the time of invitation, he or she meets the English language and age requirements and has obtained a suitable skill assessment from a relevant assessing authority, for their nominated occupation, you are eligible for 5 points. Points are only available if your partner is included in your application as an applicant. This is not applicable if your partner is an Australian citizen.
  • Skilled Nominated; or subclass 190: Here you will be awarded points if you have applied for a subclass 190 (Skilled Nominated) visa; and if you have been nominated by a state or territory government for the purposes of the visa application; and the Minister has accepted the nomination.
  • Skilled – Regional Sponsored or subclass 489: Here you will be awarded points if you have applied for a subclass 489 (Skilled – Regional Sponsored) visa and have you have been nominated by a state or territory government for the purposes of the visa application; and the Minister has accepted the nomination.

To see how many points you will be awarded, try our FREE points test calculator now.

Best Things To Do in Toronto the capital of Ontari...
5 Things to Consider When Changing Your Course or ...

Related Posts

Get in TouchExplore Events