Learn everything you need to know about UK Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in UK
UK Student Visa
The UK has long been among the most popular study abroad destinations for postsecondary education among international students. There are ample opportunities for education, research, and employment in the United Kingdom. In 2022 alone, the UK’s immigration department issued about 500,000 student visas to foreign nationals.
With a focus on student experience and research, strong curricula, and varied options across bachelor’s and master’s levels, the United Kingdom has left a strong impression on the global stage. A UK degree has a high value in the global job market. Why? The United Kingdom has many top universities with a rich history and quality teaching and research. According to QS Graduate Employability Rankings, the UK produces some of the world’s most employable graduates.
Speaking of graduates, after a bachelor’s, master’s, or PhD degree in the UK, you can launch your career here with a Graduate Route visa. The UK Student visa for Filipino graduates and other eligible foreign nationals in the country allows them to stay back and work for two to three years here.
Types of UK Student Visa Available for Filipino Students
There are three types of visas that allow you to study in the UK: Child Student Visa, Student Visa, and Short-Term Study Visa. It is important to apply for one according to what you want to study in the UK. Here is some basic information that will give you a broad idea of each UK student visa so that you can decide which one to apply for.
Child Student Visa
It is possible to apply for this visa if you wish to enrol yourself in a course at a UK independent school and are 4 to 17 years of age. It is the replacement for a Tier 4 (Child) student visa. If you want to study English or are at least 18 years old, you may have to consider a different UK student visa.
Short-Term Study Visa
Do you wish to enrol in an English language course that takes over six months and no more than 11 months of study in the United Kingdom? If so, you will have to submit an application for this visa. You can live and study in the UK for as many as 11 months, or the duration of your program and 30 more days, whichever is shorter. If you are 16 years of age or older and want to study something else, you may have to apply for a student visa in the UK.
If you are at least 16 years of age and the recipient of a place in a program of study from an eligible educational institution, you may be able to apply for this visa. There is a list of educational institutions that can sponsor foreign nationals to study in the UK under the so-called Student route. The length of your stay depends on your existing qualifications and what you wish to study in the UK. If you are at least 18 years old and want to pursue a degree in the UK, you can stay here for five years or less. If it is not a degree-level course you want to join, however, the UK visa for Filipinos and others will only allow staying in the nation for two years or less.
Requirements for UK Student Visa
The requirements you must meet to qualify for a visa to study in the UK are mostly identical, no matter what course you want to pursue here. Here, we are only looking at the eligibility requirements for a UK student visa. If you want to know what you need to qualify for a short-term study visa or child student visa in the UK, feel free to talk to one of our counsellors at AECC.
- You must be at least 16 years of age. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you will need consent to study in the UK from your father, mother, or legal guardian.
- You must have an offer of a place in a program from an institution in the UK that is capable of sponsoring students from foreign nations under the Student route.
- You must have enough funds to afford your course in the UK and support yourself during your stay here. The amount of money you need hinges on your specific circumstances and what you want to study in the UK.
- You must be able to speak, write, read, and understand the English language. If you plan on pursuing a degree in the UK universities, your higher education service provider will ask you to submit a particular English proficiency test score from a number of exam options. The overall score must equal or go above the B2 Level on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR). Whether or not it equals the said level depends on which test you attend. For instance, an overall IELTS score of 5.5 to 6.5 equals it.
If you are applying from the Philippines and want to come to the UK alone, £363 will be the fee. You will also need to pay other charges, such as the healthcare surcharge, to name one.
It is also important to note that there are possible exceptions to the UK student visa requirements for the Philippines mentioned above. For example, if you have been living in the United Kingdom for the last 12 months or more, you may not have to meet the financial requirements for a UK student visa.
Documents Required to Apply for a Student Visa in the UK
The documents you need to apply for a visa in the UK are subject to variation, depending on the course you wish to pursue and your specific circumstances. As someone from the Philippines who wishes to study in the UK, you must generally submit the following documents along with your UK visa application. There are potential exceptions to some of the following UK student visa requirements for the Philippines, though.
- A valid travel document or passport.
- The letter of acceptance for a place in a program from a licenced student sponsor.
- Proof that you meet the financial requirements.
- An ATAS certificate that is valid if your program requires it. It is usually necessary for a master of research or taught master's program in the UK.
- Proof of the aforesaid consent from your parent or legal guardian if you are yet to turn 18.
- Your tuberculosis (TB) test results.
You may have to submit more documents with your UK visa application, depending on the circumstances specific to you and/or your course.
How to Apply for a Student Visa in the UK
It is a must to do so through an online platform dedicated to UK visa and immigration services. However, you will have to do some parts of the process manually, like biometric verification, to name one. The immigration department of the UK will inform you of what you need to do at the time of your application.
Before you apply for a UK student visa, make sure that it is the right option for you and that you meet all the requirements. At the initial stage of the application process, you must prove your identity. The immigration department will usually give a decision on the UK visa application in three weeks, but it can take longer, depending on your specific situation.