New Zealand Student Visa
Learn everything you need to know about New Zealand Student Visa and get end to end expert guidance from us.
Turn your Study Abroad Dream to Degrees Abroad in New Zealand
New Zealand Student Visa
A country with scenic landscapes, New Zealand is also a great study abroad destination for prospective international students. There is a really good support system in place for foreign nationals who study in New Zealand. Many institutions in the country feature in world university rankings and offer globally recognised degrees.
It is not all that expensive to pursue a higher education qualification in almost any field in New Zealand. The tuition fees for bachelor’s degrees in New Zealand range between NZD 20,000 and NZD 30,000 for most fields. The fees range between NZD 25,000 and NZD 35,000 for master’s degrees in most fields.
New Zealand features in the top five countries on the 2023 Global Peace Index, a sign of the political stability and social tolerance in the nation. Domestic students and foreign nationals have identical rights in New Zealand.
New Zealand also offers great post-study work opportunities for foreign nationals who study here. You can obtain a visa that allows you to work for three years in New Zealand after your graduation.
Types of New Zealand Student Visa for Filipino Students
There are many different types of student visas in New Zealand. Here are some of the visas, but note that there are a few more as well. You may want to apply for a student New Zealand visa, depending on your requirements.
1. Visitor Visa for Exploring and Studying
- Duration: Allows a stay of nine months for exploration and three months for studying in New Zealand.
- Purpose: Primarily designed for exploring the country, visiting relatives, and friends, with a secondary option for short-term studies.
2. Philippines Working Holiday Visa
- Eligibility: Available for Philippine citizens aged 18 to 30.
- Duration: Allows a maximum stay of 12 months for work and study purposes.
- Work Limitation: You can work for up to three months with a single employer.
- Study Rights: Grants study rights for six months.
3. Exchange Student Visa for Long-Term Study
- Eligibility: Designed for eligible student exchange programs.
- Duration: Allows studying in New Zealand for up to 4 years, aligned with the exchange program's length.
- Tuition Fees: Considered a full-time domestic student, so tuition fees are not applicable.
- Work Opportunity: Permits working for 20 hours per week during academic terms and unlimited hours during breaks.
4. Pathway Student Visa for Multiple Courses
- Eligibility: Requires an offer of place from a pathway education provider and sufficient funds for tuition fees.
- Duration: Allows a stay of up to five years in New Zealand.
- Study Flexibility: Allows pursuing up to three courses within the eligibility criteria.
- Work Entitlement: Permits working up to 40 hours per fortnight during academic terms and full-time during holidays.
5. Fee-Paying Student Visa for Full-Time Studies
- Duration: Allows staying in New Zealand for up to four years, based on the length of the chosen eligible course.
- Study Commitment: Designed for full-time studies at educational institutions in New Zealand.
Requirements to Avail New Zealand Student Visa
There are many different types of student visas in New Zealand that have slightly different eligibility requirements. However, here, we will only discuss a part of the fee-paying New Zealand visa requirements. There are exceptions to some of the following criteria; feel free to contact an expert migration agent to confirm your eligibility.
- Proof of identity.
- Prove that you are healthy. You may have to undergo a medical exam and/or chest X-ray to prove it.
- Prove that you are a person with a good character.
- Have a genuine intention to meet your visa conditions.
- Have a formal acceptance from an eligible education service provider.
- Have enough funds to pay for your tuition, living expenses, and return travel.
- Travel and medical insurance for as long as you plan to stay in New Zealand.
Documents Required to Apply for a Student Visa in New Zealand
Here are some of the documents that you must submit to get a New Zealand student visa. There are also possible exceptions to some of the following New Zealand visa requirements. For instance, insurance does not apply to a PhD student.
- Your identity certificate or passport
- All the necessary medical documents to prove that you meet the health requirement
- A police certificate
- The offer letter from your approved school
- Evidence of tuition fee payment for one year of study or one course, whichever is relatively shorter
- The insurance policy that covers medical care and travel
- Proof of your funds to pay for the living expenses and return travel
How to Apply for a Student Visa in New Zealand
When you want to apply for a New Zealand student visa, be sure to meet all the requirements. It is advisable to apply for the visa at least two months before you want to go to New Zealand. It is possible to do it manually or through a dedicated online portal. Almost everyone applies online because it does not usually result in as long a processing time as with a paper-based application procedure.
If you are wondering how to apply for a New Zealand student visa online, a RealMe® account is necessary. RealMe® is a secure online platform that lets you use an array of digital services of the New Zealand government with a user ID and password.