IELTS Exam - A Complete Overview
What is IELTS Exam?
This language assessment test is developed by some of the world's leading language experts. It is designed to evaluate your English skills in reading, writing, listening, and speaking and your effectiveness in using the language to study, work and live in an English-speaking country.
|Academic, General Training
|Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking
|0-9 band scale
|Academic, professional, migration
|Computer & Paper Based
Importance of IELTS Exam
Working, studying, or integrating into an English-speaking community requires a high level of English proficiency. IELTS is the world's most popular English language test for higher education and global migration. IELTS is the only English language test accepted by all key immigration authorities for visa applications and migration purposes, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the UK.
Types of IELTS Exam:
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is designed to help individuals make various life decisions, from enhancing their English language skills to relocating abroad for studies or career development. There are three main versions of the IELTS test:
- IELTS Academic
- IELTS General Training
- IELTS UKVI
The appropriate test for you will depend on whether your primary objective is to study or work in your selected country. Below are some key differences between the two tests that will help you decide which IELTS test is suitable for you.
IELTS Academic Test
The IELTS Academic test is crafted to evaluate your English language proficiency and determine its suitability for an academic setting. This test reflects elements of academic language and assesses whether you are prepared to start training or studying in English.
You should take the IELTS Academic test if you aim to:
- Study at an undergraduate or postgraduate level in an English-speaking country.
- Apply for a Student Route visa (Tier 4) to study at a UK university that is a Student Route (Tier 4) Sponsor.
- Work for a professional organisation in an English-speaking country.
IELTS General Training
The IELTS General Training test is devised to evaluate your English language proficiency in practical, everyday scenarios. This test mirrors both workplace and social situations.
You should take the IELTS General Training test if you aim to:
- Train or study below degree level.
- Work or undertake work-related training in an English-speaking country.
- Emigrate to an English-speaking country.
- Secure another job in your own country where recognised proficiency in the English language is required.
IELTS Exam Modes
IELTS Academic vs General
|Designed for students planning to study at the undergraduate or postgraduate level.
|Aimed at individuals going for secondary education, work experience, or training programs.
|Focuses on academic language and skills.
|Emphasizes basic survival skills in a broad social and educational context.
|Reading and Writing sections are more abstract and academically oriented.
|Reading and Writing sections are more practical and workplace-oriented.
|Ideal for those pursuing higher education or professional registration in an English-speaking environment.
|Suitable for those looking to migrate to English-speaking countries for work or training purposes.
IELTS Exam Fees for Filipinos
Here's a glance at the IELTS exam fees in PHP, tailored for Filipinos gearing up for their global aspirations. Whether it's for study, work, or migration, knowing the IELTS exam costs is your first step towards the IELTS exam.
|IELTS Test Type
|Cost in PHP
|IELTS Academic (in centre, paper or computer)
|IELTS General Training (in centre, paper or computer)
|IELTS Academic for UKVI (in centre, paper or computer)
|IELTS General Training for UKVI (in centre, paper or computer)
|IELTS Life Skills (A1 and B1)
IELTS Exam Cancellation Fees
- If a candidate cancels their IELTS application more than 14 days before the test date, the candidate will receive a 75% refund of the total IELTS exam fee.
- If a candidate cancels their IELTS application within 14 days, the candidate will receive a 50% refund of the total IELTS exam fee.
- If a candidate cancels their IELTS application within 2 days before the actual test date, the candidate will receive a 25% refund of the total IELTS exam fee.
- If the candidate cancels the test on the day of the test or after the test, no refund will be provided.
IELTS Rescheduling Fees
If a candidate wishes to change their test date, they can request to reschedule their exam date at least five weeks ahead of the previously booked test. The rescheduled date must be within three months of the original test date. For the process of rescheduling, the candidate will have to pay an administrative charge inclusive of all taxes.
IELTS Exam Duration
The IELTS exam is structured into four sections, each with a specific time allocation.
- Listening: 30 minutes
- Reading: 60 minutes
- Writing: 60 minutes
- Speaking: 11-14 minutes
Where IELTS Exam Centres are Available in Philippines?
- Metro Manila
- Metro Manila-Quezon City
- Metro Manila-Pasig City
- Metro Manila-Pasay City
- Metro Manila-Taguig City
- Cagayan De Oro
How to Book for IELTS Exam?
- Choose the Test Type: Decide whether you'll take the IELTS Academic or IELTS General Training based on your goals for studying, working, or immigrating.
- Find a Test Centre: Locate a test centre near you. The British Council and IDP Education operate IELTS test centres in the Philippines. Major cities like Manila, Cebu, and Davao usually have multiple centres.
- Check Test Dates: Available test dates will be listed on the website of your chosen test centre. Ensure the date you choose gives you enough time to prepare.
- Register Online: Complete the online registration form. You'll need to upload a clear, scanned copy of your valid ID (usually a passport or national ID).
- Payment: Pay the test fee, which varies but is typically around PHP 10,000 to PHP 13,000. You can usually pay via debit/credit card, bank transfer, or in person at the test centre.
- Confirmation: After payment, you'll receive a confirmation letter with details about your test venue and schedule.
- Prepare: Use the time leading up to your test date for focused preparation. Make use of online resources, attend preparation classes, or consult guidebooks to practice.
IELTS Online Registration
Make an account
Determine an appropriate date slot based on the availability at the nearby IELTS testing locations.
Pay for your registration online to complete it.
Given its global significance, it is imperative for test-takers to prepare diligently for the IELTS test. Preparation is not limited to just understanding the English language but also mastering the test format and honing test-taking strategies. Leveraging available resources such as practice materials, expert-led masterclass sessions, and support tools can greatly enhance one's preparedness and confidence on test day.
As with any examination, thorough preparation and practice are key to achieving a desirable score and, ultimately, realising one's academic, professional, or migration aspirations.