Are you an undergraduate student dreaming of doing your Master's abroad? Looking for the most happening course options? Either way, you've come to the right place! In this blog, we cover all the bases you need to know before enrolling in an international university.
As an international student, you will receive more than just a globally accredited degree. You will also get the opportunity to learn and develop interdisciplinary and cross-cultural skills.
Masters courses for international students teach interpersonal skills, such as finance and time management, problem-solving skills, and many more. In this blog, we will be taking you through some of the top Master's Courses for international students, including Masters in Nursing, Masters in Information Technology, Masters in Public Health, and many more. Read on to know more!
Let’s dive right in…
Why Should You Do Your Master's Course Abroad?
Travelling to a foreign land away from the comforts of home might seem a little daunting at first. But once you understand the advantages you get as an international student, it will become a lot easier to move forward with the idea. Here are the top 4 reasons why you should consider doing your masters abroad:
- Opportunity to study at globally recognized universities: By studying abroad, you widen your horizons of graduating from globally acclaimed universities under the guidance of some of the most knowledgeable and experienced professors.
- Develop Interpersonal and Cross-Culture Skills: As an international student living abroad, you will have the opportunity to learn and hone your interpersonal skills such as time management, financial management, self-discipline, and plenty more. You will also be exposed to several different cultures, languages, and traditions, that will help in improving your cross-cultural communication and tolerance.
- A Master's Degree helps you specialise in your field: An undergraduate degree equips you with sufficient knowledge about the field of study you are interested in. By enrolling in a Master's degree in the same field, you get to specialise and learn it more intensively. This adds to your credibility and improves your employability.
- International Degree makes you stand out from other students in the job market: Being an international student with a Master's degree and international exposure, employers globally will be keen on hiring you. The interpersonal skills and cross-cultural knowledge will help you excel at work as well.
Top Master's Courses Preferred by International Students
In recent years, Filipino students have taken a keen interest in studying abroad. Observing the trends among students, we have compiled the top 10 Masters courses in for international students below. This list is compiled purely based on recent trends.
Masters in Management & Leadership: A master's in management and leadership is the number one choice among Filipino students and most international students. As a graduate, you will be able to deliver upon competitive goals across businesses and build your leadership skills.
The preferred study location for international students with regard to this particular stream has been the UK. The fees for this particular course can cost an average of £19,760. Upon graduation, you will be able to find jobs that pay £94,000 annually.
Masters in Computer Sciences
With everything around us going digital, businesses are catching up too. Students with a specialisation in Computer Science have an added advantage for quicker employability.
The preferred study location for international students with regard to this particular stream has been the US in recent years. A master's degree in the US can cost anywhere from 13,500 USD to 141,000 USD in total, depending on your choice of university. Students who graduate from reputed universities and good scores are employed within 6 months of graduation. Graduates make an average annual salary of $72,000.
Masters in Business Administration (MBAs)
MBAs have been the go-to for international students across the globe for over a decade. Having an MBA gives you all the skills and knowledge you need to oversee the functions of a business.
The preferred study destination for MBA among international students has been Australia. The average tuition cost of doing an MBA in Australia is anywhere between AUD 80,000 to AUD 125,000 depending on the specialisation and university. Graduates make an annual average salary of AU$85,000 at the beginning of their career.
Here are the top study destinations preferred by international students for MBA programs:
Masters in Economics
Master of Economics is an international student favorite for all the right reasons. It teaches students all the necessary skills of how the economy works. Graduates also have a wider range of career options from business and research to teaching.
The preferred study destinations are Canada and the UK. The tuition fees can be anywhere from 13,000 to 45,000 USD. graduates can make an annual salary of $75,000 and $110,000 depending on the industry and specialisation.
Masters in Psychology
The study of the human mind is the most complex and dynamic field today. With more campaigns advocating for the importance of mental health and therapy happening, the need for mental health care providers and therapists is also rising.
Students prefer the US and Canada to pursue their masters in psychology. The annual tuition fees to pursue a master's degree in psychology can be between 30,000 and 34,000 USD. Graduates can make upward of 79,980 USD in annual salary.
Masters in International Relations
Businesses today transcend all geographical boundaries. With globalisation on the rise, businesses are placing emphasis on hiring candidates who master in international relations.
The preferred study location among students has been the global melting pot, the US. The average cost of a degree in the US is between $22,000 to $70,000. Students who exhibit the right skills and score make an average annual salary of $69,000.
Masters in International Business
Businesses are unique and dynamic. With the recent advancements in technology and trends, businesses are constantly evolving. The evolution creates new demands and skills opening up job and career opportunities.
International students prefer the UK in regards to master's in international business. Tuition fees can cost between £13,500 and £28,000. Upon graduation, students can earn an annual average of £49,000.
Masters in Biology
With so many new discoveries being made every single day, the field is ever-growing. Students inclined towards research and life sciences opt for this major. In today's world there a huge demand for biologists with a passion for the profession.
Students who aspire to graduate in this field lean towards Canada and the UK as their top study destination choices. Getting a master's in biology costs between 25,390 to 40,000 CAD. A graduate starting their career makes an annual salary of 58,000 CAD.
Masters in Engineering & Technology
Engineering is an integral part of any business and everyday life. It makes automation and innovation accessible and functional. Students interested in mechanics and machinery will find this course to be of great value.
Students who wish to graduate in engineering often come to Australia to study. The annual tuition fees are between 29,600 AUD to 48,000 AUD. Graduates make an annual salary of 83,000 AUD.
Masters in Health Sciences
Health Sciences has grown many folds in the last few years. With recent advancements, we've been able to improve the quality of life and cure various diseases. If as a student your interest is in research and clinical medicine, this is ht right course.
The top study destinations preferred by students are Canada and UK. The tuition fee per year is 37,760 USD. Graduates can make an annual average of 41,691 USD as entry-level employees.
Eligibility Criteria for Master's Degree
The eligibility criteria may vary depending on the course and university. However, luckily, there are some similarities. Compiled below is a list of all standard requirements from universities across the globe.
- Proof of your previous degree. This is necessary when applying for a Master's or an MS abroad. This helps universities understand your proficiency and strengths.
- High School Certificates and Transcripts may also be required with some universities.
- Language Proficiency Test scores. Universities located in countries where English is the primary language place a lot of emphasis on your TOEFL, IELTS, PTE or other acceptable equivalents. Some universities and courses may also require a fixed minimum score. Read all your course-related materials.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP) that talks about your interest in the course and your reasons for choosing the said course, university, or country are also required. This helps universities understand you better. These letters are ideally under 2 pages long.
- Reference letters are mandatory for Masters, either from your previous professors or from your internship supervisors. This adds credibility to your profile.
- Portfolios are compulsory for students who wish to Master or Specialise in Arts. It needs to have all your best ideas and projects.
- Project Description is necessary for students applying for a research degree or Masters that end with a research project. It needs to have all your best ideas and projects.
- Curriculum Vitae or CV will make you stand out from the other candidates. Have a crisp CV that talks about your strengths, internship experience, and other relevant details.
These are some of the most common requirements across universities worldwide. Although more specified or niche requirements may apply for courses and universities at the master's level of degree.
Master's Degree Duration and Fees
Master's programs usually take 1.5 to 2 years to complete. But it may be shorter or longer depending upon the course intensity. Another factor required to understand the duration of the course includes the number of credits required.
Master's programs can cost anywhere from USD 18,000 to USD 32,000 annually. Course materials, travel, food, insurance, accommodation, and other expenses need to be accounted for separately by the students. Many countries and universities also offer scholarships and bursaries to meritorious students. Student loans are also popularly available in recent years.
Keen on pursuing a master's degree abroad? Get in touch with our expert guidance counselors and start your study abroad journey!